IMG_2179

 

So, after a bit of playing about and a second shot, a successful test firing! In the first firing the kiln timer shut off before it reached 1080º. Consequently, for the second firing I set the timer to a whopping 18 hours before heading off to bed. Unfortunately, when I woke up, it was still sitting at 700º, but by setting the dial to what the instructions claimed was stoneware temperature, over the course of a few more hours the kiln hit 1000º and the kiln sitter kicked in, closing everything down as it should.

Another 12 hours later and the temperature was cool enough to pull my first batch out of the kiln. It was mostly test sticks, used to make sure the kiln was firing evenly but I did sneak one wee house in.

Next time around I’ll need to be more present to make sure to ramp up the kiln at the appropriate time – I suspect the inefficiency is due to the elements getting old and tired so I’ll have to replace them down the track but for now, I’m very happy. A studio and a working kiln…